Thursday, July 15, 2010

Approaching Family Day

Over the past year I have been trying to create Alissa's "Life Book"/"Baby Book"/"Gotcha Book". It was so difficult to walk that fine line between trying to give her a baby book and not include information that she might not want people to see later. I looked for examples, read a few books at the bookstore and decided to try to make a scrapbook similar to her brothers first years scrapbook. I decided to go ahead and post it since I had a hard time finding examples to review when putting this together. I hope others find an example helpful to determine what they like and don't like. I imagine I won't know what worked until Alissa is much older.

I used the blog we kept as a base for the book so everyone that has followed the blog has read all of the info in this book. Enjoy it now since I may delete it after a few weeks. FYI - it's LONG.

The most exciting part is that I got this finished exactly 1 week before our Family Day. We are coming up on a year since our adoption was finalized. What a year it has been. Stressful, loving, and life changing for all of us.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for posting the book, I am definitely going to make one just like that, I love it! I will admit, I was going through it while eating lunch at work yesterday, and I was crying into my Lean Cuisine. Seeing all those pictures of her in her old home, then coming to join your family, and re-reading some of your old posts from those first meetings- it must have taken you many hours to make that, and it will be something she will treasure for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right...there are a lot of pages but I enjoyed each one. You have some really great photos, and she is adorable. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kara and Ramie. Thank you for posting the book. I really enjoyed it and it is a great inspiration for making one for our little one one day. Your kids are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just an update. She loved having a book with pictures of her in it. She was a bit emotional at the end, but she just kept pointing to her pictures and saying it was her. She also liked pointing out her "baby" pictures as well. On to the next book....If they would just stop growing I might be able to catch up:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn. I missed the book. I am sure it is fabulous as you take so much care and pay so much attention to detail in your blog. I made a similar book, and worry that I may have put some things in there that I shouldn't have. You are right. Time will tell. Enjoy your family day. How amazing is it that you finished it one week before the special event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Melanie Kocherberger directed us to your blog. Thank you for sharing this information. My husband and I have a 6 year-old boy and we are adopting a three year-old girl from Poland. Your blog gave us some insight into what to expect and some great ideas to help us "mesh" as family. If you have other ideas, please email us @ jovix@verizon.net.

    ReplyDelete