Alissa is a fish! She loves water (this was not always so which makes this even more amazing.) She is a very good swimmer for a 5.5 year old. She is swimming breast stroke, treading water, diving to the bottom of 3ft to find things, doing handstands, somersaults standing and swimming, even double somersaults, floating, black flips (in the water), and now even jumped off the diving board and swam to the side.
She tends to regress when friends are around because they are still mostly afraid of the water. But when there is no one to copy she is out in 5ft of water swimming away, twirling underwater, and just having fun. Parents are finally saying to their kids, "watch Alissa, maybe you can do that", "see how Alissa is doing that". As a parent that has a child that is always behind kids in her class this was an amazing momemt. I looked up to find out which parent wanted their kid to emulate mine:) I realized, "hey, my kid is better than average at swimming and look how happy she is doing it!"
Probably the first kid to have their first "body of water" be a pool instead of a bathtub. Look how far two years can take you! I remember getting her in the pool for the first time in Poland and she just laughed crazily at the feeling of the water on her. Water became soothing and something that could break the tantrums/rages. Now it is her strength!
Okay, this isn't the pool - but it is adorable and yes she loves the beach as well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to go Alissa! What wonderful progress.
ReplyDeleteHow fantastic! I wish my youngest took to water like your daughter. He's still behind when it comes to water. He's too sensitive and is scared of water on his face. My other two - are fish.
ReplyDeleteThat just made me SO SO SO happy to read! Go Alissa Go! Dominik loves the water too, he says he swims like a dolphin! I'm going to let an expert teach him to swim. I'm chicken!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your blog. We are adopting from Poland and I appreciate your openess in sharing the challenges you have faced as well as the joys of adoption. My blog is threeiscompany3.blogspot.com and thanks do much for sharing!
ReplyDelete